Thursday, September 07, 2006

As You Were.....

My good friends, there are times in one's life that you truly realize God loves you, and yesterday was my day.....
It all began with a vision.....
A vision of a warm, sweet, cozy back bedroom, with the quintessential bed and breakfast elements my home is know for. WELL!

Whoa G! Wait a minute, what about the porch?

I'm getting to that, hold on!

Anyhoo, I am always on the hunt for new things, and Lia Dad and I found this AWESOME antiques place in San Antonio. No, not the "couldn't fetch .50 at the Falfurrias La Pulga" either, but soleful, historical, original antiques. Well, I found these georgous old doors there, but just admired them, I did not get prices. Well when Lia "always brings the measuring tape" Guerra and I found ourselves in SA, I thought, why not?
As most of you know I have a passion for old houses, especially doors, and I have often thought how I could incorporate them into a design, and then....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

EUREKA!
I would use them as a headbord in my back bedroom! But not the usuall raised pannel on it's side, but multiple doors of various heights to give that quirky a-symetrical feel!
GENIOUS!!

So, upon entering the warehouse, we were greeted by Michael, the gruff jaded manager of the joint, and he remembered us from last time! We shared some laughs and I began to shop for doors. Now, perhaps I am the only one who wasn't aware that nice antique doors run.....oh say.....$400 - $2,000 EACH!! WTF!! As I reluctantly realized I was going to have to join the mass populous and "faux" (cring!) some new doors, Michael pops back in to see how we were doing and proceeds to inform us about how his jerk boss and him got into a fight, and the boss thinks Michael is ripping him off! He then asked if I found anything I liked. I showed him the wonderful door I fell in love with, it even has "welcome" on the front! But for $400, it was more like goodbye! He gave it a once over while I shared my surprise at the prices of all the doors.
"Yup, they don't come cheap" He remarked. As I gazed lovingly at the peeling paint, he says out of nowhere
"How about $108?"
Now as most of you know, and have seen from the previous pic, I have MASSIVE eyeballs, and they just about twitched out of my head when I heard that!
"I'm sorry....dollars?"
"Yea, the old man thinks I'm ripping him off, I'll show him rip off!"
"Yea!" I exclaimed,
"The Bastard!"
"Anything else you like?"
I looked at Lia, and her glasses had already fogged due to the excitment!
"Well....There are these doors over here....."

Now, let me explain, these doors I found are SO nice, they didn't even have a price, and as my Dad says, "If you gotta ask, you can't afford it!" These were tall thin european style doors with the original diamond leaded glass inserts.......yea....
I walked him over, and was waiting for the;
"Darlin', I'm being nice, but this aint no chairity!"
He looked them over, gave a Chris-Farley-down-by-the-river pants hike......looked at me....looked at Lia.....another hike.....
"Well....hm...let's see....these here are nice doors....."

By now poor Lia could'nt see a thing with all the excitment, and she boldly bellowed;
"$200 for the lot!"

I held my breath, the anticipatory hopeful sweat beading on my forrowed brow! The air was thick and heavy with the situation! The intensity gave me mini eye spasms! Lia was blind, I was twitching! Did she go to low? There's no way he would agree!

"Alright"
"$200 cash saturday afternoon"

OMG!! Did this just happen? I'm getting like $1,100 doors for $200 cold cash! NO WAY!! Thanks God, and you too Lia with your blind bold ass!!

So, pending his jaded butt is still employed, I am going to go get my treasures Saturday!! And ladies and Germs, these pictures do no justice to the masterpiece THAT IS....my headboard..
Enjoy....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 Comments:

Blogger THE MODERN DAD said...

SWEET! You should send him a thank you gift. like a bottle of moonshine or something

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home