Saturday, September 09, 2006

SUCK IT IN!

The Dawn broke slowly through my french country toile drapes and caressed my face with early light. I slowly opened my eyes, blinking as I came to. They suddenly bugged out as my heart raced, realizing today was THE day! Christmas? No, BETTER! I was going to get my antique doors today! Hooray!! I hurriedly prepared my personal effects and raced to Lia "Always Down For A Taco" Guerra's to scoop her up! We stopped at our favorite haunt, Rojelio's, for some breakfast tacos and coffee, de-lish! I highly recommend the rizo, potes and egg, or to my more traditional friends, chorizo con huevos y papas fritas taquitos deliciosos! Oh, and they have sugar in the glass pourer my A.D.D. friends, no time wastin' tiny packets here! My sweet-tea guzzlin' brother appreciates that! Anyhoo, full and very caffeinated, we drove off to San Antonio, in my air-condition-less car! Man that Lia sure is a trooper! She smiled as her glasses fogged in anticipation! Hoping Michael was still employed, and remembered our agreement, I made him one of my peanut butter marshmallow creme chocolate fudge brownies, (you got a little...yea, right there...ok) as a token of my appreciation. We pulled up and he was there waiting! YAY! He even cleaned up the doors, and fixed the glass! They began loading the welcome door in the car, and it was too long!! It was going over the driver's seat! NOOOOO!! With his signature pant hike, and toothy grin, he remarked, "Looks like you're gonna have to come back!"
With a furrowed brow, quickened pulse, and steel gaze, I whispered between clenched teeth,
"Like Hell!"
I donned my leopard skins and pounded on the drum betwixed my legs, shouting,
"HEAVE!.....HEAVE!......HEAVE!!....

After an awkward silence and strange looks, we gently eased the door further into the car. Lia and I moved our seats up as far as we could. I thought to myself, "So this is what little blue haired biddies see when they drive, hmmm." Now Gina "Drumsticks" Garcia really didn't have much of a problem, but Lia "Legs" Guerra was not fairing so well. Let's just say, she was pushing up her spectacles.... with her knees....yea.....
Regardless, we were both in high spirits over our steal!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We returned to the house to unload the doors, and Dad was there waiting to help! Now, the leaded glass doors were no problem, but that welcome door is solid oak, and no joke! Even Dad, recently released from his Han Solo frozen state of shock, could not lift the door by himself! I was about to bust out the drum and skins again, but was politely asked not to, so we slowly maneuvered the doors inside successfully. There is some bad news though, I discovered as we were unloading a leaded glass door, that one of the glass diamonds was cracked. This really isn't all bad, as the age and flaws are what I desire. I was not satisfied with my original paint color choice, and wanted something with a richer saturation, so after countless hours choosing, I came up with a new set. With Dad and Lia at the house, I opened up the new paint colors, and WOW, what a difference! I LOVE the creme, and the green is exquisite, but yet again, the brown is not quite what I had in mind, but after slapping it around, I began to appreciate its warm claytones for what they are, not focusing on the pre-concieved vision I had in my head. The colors are very warm and look great together! I even recieved the thumbs up from the crew! These colors are WAY more country cottage! Enjoy your new refried beans!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And thus it begins! I am set to wash the room, calk the gaps in the basebords, putty the holes, and sand the rough spots this Tuesday, and then I will be set to prime on Thursday! With the kaleidoscope of various paint samples adorning my house, I have no choice but to paint this puppy pretty quick! I am going to do some brainstorming on the headboard, now that I know the weight on that door. I don't want to secure it to the studs, and am thinking of perhaps a platform that will be hidden by the bed...we'll see...

1 Comments:

Blogger THE MODERN DAD said...

be sure to take before and after pictures.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home