Thursday, October 05, 2006

Nice Stilts!

Put your seatbelts on kids, this is gonna be a bumpy ride! Ok, here we go! We will begin yesterday. As you know the crew and I have plans to paint the back guestroom and we already primed the walls, and I was to prime the trim after work. I realized that night as I flipped the non-responsive switch, THERE IS NO LIGHT! We took it down to paint the ceiling, so I could not see to paint! F.Y.I, X-Men 3 is a pretty good show! So bright and early I finished the priming, and Lia and I were ready for color!
TO THE LIVING ROOM! Well, the living room has peeling tape at the very top of the vaulted ceiling from the original sheetrock and it has been an eyesore since I moved in. In the spirit of home improvement, I called Esteban, a painter Dad met on one of his daily streetwalks, to see how much he would charge to fix it. He offered to come out to the house that day for a free estimate! He gave a great quote, AND said he could start the next day! SWEET! So today he showed up with all his equipment, and just for grins, I asked what he would charge to paint the vaulted ceiling.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No I am not lazy... well.... hmmm... it's just that I don't have stilts, and he does! He gave another great quote, and even threw in painting the tops of the living room walls so we could reach them to finish painting. WO-HOO, no trimming!! This is awesome news, BUT it also means I have to finally decide on the liging room wall color!! AHHHHH!! I have been putting this off since day one!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Remember ghetto renderings 1 and 2 for the guestroom? I had chosen to put buttercream wainscoting and willow green top color with white trim? Upon further contemplation, I decided to switch to green bottom, cream top with white trim. Dark colors are "heavier" and tend to "sink" and I believe the room will feel more natural and stable with the green bottom. I say this because the renderings are the same idea I had for the kitchen area. So the cream top in the kitchen means the cream will have to cross into the livingroom where the fireplace is because it is a seamless wall. This made me sad because I was hoping for green on that wall because I thought it would look great against the brick, but the visual stability of the room is more important. I decided to put green on the other 2 walls in the living room for more color, especially because my couch is brown and will look best with a green background. Now mind you, this decision process took like 2 hours! Our painter friend highly recommended Behr pain, so I sent Dad to take our paint chips to get color matched and to get various supplies while Lia and I went to paint the back guestroom.
Ok, in my defense this WHOLE thing has been very spur of the moment, although very fun, BUT I have had no time to plan! I am O.C.D. for a reason people!! So there we were ready to paint, and I realized I sent Dad to get a new paint tray, because my stupid butt forgot to rinse the old one out, and it was ruined! Dad was going to be gone for along time, so Lia and I headed to walmart to get one, and when we came back, I realized I sent my last roller with Dad to make sure he got the right one!! AHHHH!! The good news though? At walmart I found a new shower curtain!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have been in the market for one like this! Now my skylight can really be appreciated, there is a new pallet that matches the guestroom, and a bright new spacious feel in the bath! YAY, new towels!! Now, back to the drama at hand....
We decided to just wait for Dad to come back and started painting around the trim. Mind you, we will have to paint the trim white, and put up crown molding, so don't worry about the many boo-boos! A good chunk into our trimming, I had the sudden realization we were painting the entire room green, but we had just changed our minds to paint the top cream instead!! AHHHH!! Lia bowed her head and took deep breaths in her paper bag as I paced the floor in my plaid trenchcoat and wooden pipe. We discussed our options and realized the room is so small, and there are going to be busy patterns throughout the room, so keeping the walls simple and fresh would add to the room more so than distract from it. We decided to go green top, with white trim, wainscoting, and crown molding. This will keep it clean and basic, and most importantly, not match the kitchen!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All the excitement was too much for Lia! By osmosis, she has taken up the "siesta", I am so proud! (Sniff-sniff)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dad arrived with the goods and we finished the room! Wow, in one day!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tomorrow we move the furnishings back in the room, and get started painting the living room! Esteban offered to stain the beam in the livingroom for us if we only buy the stain, well.....YEA! Being do-it-your-selfers (trial and error at that!) it was sweet to hang out on the couch IN THE KITCHEN and tell Esteban where he missed a spot!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home